- Place the stockfish, bay leaf and half lemon in a pot, cover with slightly salted cold water and bring to a boil. Cook for approx 20 minutes, then drain the water, keeping a glass for later.
- Stir the stockfish by hand with a wooden spoon or in a planetary mixer, slowly adding the oils until you reach a rough creamy consistency. Add some of the cooking water and season with salt and pepper.
- Once ready, divide the mantecato into three parts.
- The first part to be served as it is, the traditional way; for the second part, add finely chopped parsley, celery and garlic; for the third part, add the finely chopped peppers and pickled gherkins.
- Serve the three mantecati with a crispy focaccia or grilled bread.